Wednesday 10 April 2024

STONECUTTER'S SHADOW


Stonecutter's Shadow by James Haddock
Narrated by Daniel Wisniewski
Genre: fantasy
Format: ebook & audiobookAudiobook


A coup has thrown the kingdom of Farshores into turmoil, and one of the Pretender’s first moves was to order mercenaries to invade the Mage District and put all its inhabitants, men, women, and children, to the sword. There is one survivor, Horace Stonecutter, the youngest son of the Stonecutter family. Though a member of a stone cutting mage family, his stone cutting gift had yet to manifest itself. Instead, he had a talent he first used playing hide and seek with other children. He discovered could hide “inside” shadows, and the other kids nicknamed him “Hyder”, because no one could spot him once he hid. Embarrassed to tell his family about this seemingly useless talent, he kept it to himself.

But his ability to hide saved his life when the soldiers came to kill his family. Though there was no love lost between him and his five elder brothers, he dearly loved his mother and the mercs killed her. That night vengeance — in the form of an enraged Horace — moved from shadow to shadow killing the attackers without mercy. After all, it takes no arms training to bury an axe in the back of an enemy’s head when attacking from deep shadow. Consumed with anger and a hunger for retribution, he journeys out to find who ordered the murder of his family. He owes someone a blood debt, and he wants to collect.

Along his bloody journey, he meets kings, princes, princesses, noblemen — and not so noble men. He learns that in troubled times few are to be trusted. Join him as he becomes a fully developed Shadow Mage and follow as his abilities and powers grow while he seeks to collect the blood debt he is owed. May God have mercy on his enemies — because he won’t.
Source: Info in the "About Stonecutter's Shadow" was taken from GoodReads at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58541311-stonecutter-s-shadow on 09/04/2024.


Buy Link(s):
  Audible Books


My Thoughts:
A wonderful stand-alone fantasy from James Haddock!

This is my fourth "story" by this author. By now, I am already an entrenched fan of James Haddock. His stories reads, more or less, the same. But I never get bored with them!

The problem with that, is, household chores and other adulting responsibilities don't get done! Dang!!

I obviously don't read when I am in work. So when I pick this book up in the evening when I get home, I have a little momentary pause as I read because sometimes I get confused... was it this book that travels by wood road? Oh, no, that was Dale! That is the major draw back with reading similar books. Especially when they all kinda have the same "flavour" because they are all written by the same author.

James Haddock has never written a too stupid to live (tstl) character before. So, I was quite surprised to read it in this book. Luckily, it was only at the start, never to be repeated again. Thank g*d!!

The plot kinda became a tiny bit confusing towards the end. Which was the dream and which was true?? So did the Blood Bank actually got straightened out or was that just a dream? Did he have the magic energy dagger already by then??

I am an old Daniel Wisniewski fan, and again with this book, he did not disappoint!... Or, I am now used to his reading...


Quantitative Evaluation:
Story telling quality = 4.5
Character development = 3.5
Story itself = 4.5
Writing Style = 5
Ending = 4
World building = 5
Cover art = 5
Pace = (12 hrs and 10 mins listening time)
Plot = 4
Narration = 4.5


Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5 cherries


The Author

About James Haddock:
My first career was as a Warrant Officer in the US Army, I am now retired with 22 years of service under my belt. Moving into the next phase of my life, I am a full-time author and RV'er. After seeing everyone else's Country during my first career, we decided to see our own. My wife and I enjoy traveling to see the wonders of America.

I love reading and watching Sci-Fi books, television shows, and movies. To think, "what if" and "why not." I am a pantser writer, I'll get an idea, or see a photo and think, "that would make a great story!". Writing as a pantser, to me, is like reading a new story. I have no idea where the story is going to end up. Writing the way gets me excited to pick up a pen; I look forward to writing each time, and can't wait to write many more.


The Narrator

About Daniel Wisniewski:
Audio book Narrator, Character Voices, Baritone, Bass, Tenor, Heroes, Villains, Dark, Bright, Young, Old, Comedy, Tragedy, Accents, Dialects.

I am a New York based actor who has performed across a variety of platforms both domestically and internationally. I am also a graduate of Ithaca College with a BFA in Musical Theatre, have studied and worked as a dialect coach, have access to a professional grade studio, and am an experienced editor. When not performing, I can usually be found either leading my friends on a DnD campaign or playing in one myself (usually as a dashing Half-Elf bard or brazen Half-Orc fighter).



FTC Disclosure:
The ebook and audiobook were bought with private funds.
No money received for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment