Sunday 28 April 2024

SLOW BURN Boxset (Books 1-9)


SLOW BURN Series Boxset by Bobby Adair
Slow Burn Series Boxset by Bobby Adair
Books 1 to 9 of the Slow Burn series
Narrated by Phil Thron
Genre: post-apocalyptic zombie urban fantasy
Format: ebook & audiobookAudiobook


It was one lucky mutation, lucky for the virus, that is. Unlucky for us. Of course, we weren't prepared for it. How does anyone prepare for a disease that can drive an entire species into extinction?

By the time it was truly understood what was happening, the hospitals were overrun, the virus was in the air, in the neighbor's veins, and it was already too late.

Except for those who would do anything to survive.
Source: Info in the "About Slow Burn Series Boxset" was taken from GoodReads at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49858579-slow-burn-box-set on 06/04/2023.


Buy Link(s):
  Audible Books


SLOW BURN Series Boxset by Bobby Adair audio
My Thoughts:
At more than 55 hours long, this is not a short read.

If I was reading this series when it was first published, I would probably end up avoiding this author like the plague because the books were released like a year apart, mostly. So to come up to the cliffhanger endings and having to wait for a year for the next book would royally annoy me! Therefore, having bought this series in one big omnibus contributed greatly to my becoming a fan of this author and this series. Because really this series is just one big book. But an enjoyable read, none-the-less!

Now, of course, whenever I hear Phil Thron, I would automatically think Zed. Can't complain about his narration. It was done masterfully!

Highly recommended to all zombie fans!


Quantitative Evaluation:
Story telling quality = 5
Character development = 4.5
Story itself = 4.5
Writing Style = 4.5
Ending = 4.5
World building = 5
Cover art = 5
Pace = (55 hrs and 16 mins listening time)
Plot = 4
Narration = 5


Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 cherries


Books In The Slow Burn Series:
Book 1: ZERO DAY Book 2: INFECTED Book 3: DESTROYER Book 4: DEAD FIRE Book 5: TORRENT Book 6: BLEED Book 7: CITY OF SIN Book 8: GRIND Book 9: SANCTUM Book 10: FIRESTORM


 
Meet The Author

About Bobby Adair:
A bio is a weird thing to write.

Just trying to imagine presenting the highlights of ME sets off alarm bells in my head. Why would anybody want to know anything about me? What about me is remarkable enough to tell?

When I think about these questions, I recall lying on my bed back in high school, headphones muffed over my ears, heavy metal blasting through my head. As with most teens, music’s power seduced me, and as I listened, I found myself admiring the albums' cover art (yeah, I’m old enough that I used to by LP’s) and I found myself reading about the singers and guitar players and drummers in the liner notes. Why? Because those musicians had created something that was deeply personal, passionate, and wonderfully emotional, and they’d shared it with the world. They’d shared it with me.

It made me want to know them through more than just their music. So, I read.

Through the years, I found myself reading about writers I’d enjoyed, historical figures I’d admired, politicians who weren’t dipshits, and business leaders who’d built great companies. Again, why? Who the hell knows? We’re all just people. I think we find each other interesting. We like to feel connected.

And that was my answer, at least as to the WHY.

On the WHAT I can say about me, for those who feel moved by my work: I’ll give it a quick go.

I was born an Air Force brat and lived in a dozen states before I graduated high school. I’ve worked my way through a wide variety of jobs, left most on a whim, owned businesses, lived through times when I had more money than I knew what to do with, and worried my way through times when I wondered how I’d pay the rent.

Life has been boring at times, and it’s been plenty exciting, too. So far.

I’ve traveled to India, stood atop the tallest mountains around, swam with sharks, smarted-off to cops, and been arrested. I’ve tried beer and weed, but never made a thing of either one. I’ve been brushed too close by death a few times. Thankfully, doctors, EMT’s, and nurses were kind enough to put all the pieces together again. I've ridden my bike so deep into the mountains it felt like I was alone on the edge of heaven, and I've watched the red sun sinking on an evening so clear it looked like it was falling off the edge of the world.

I’ve always had a hard time being where I am, wherever that is. My daydreams forever call from just over the horizon.

I’ve been asked by a dozen bosses where I see myself in five years, and I've lied every time, always telling them what they wanted to hear. Because the only thing I knew for sure, was that I wanted to be anywhere but there.


The Narrator

About Phil Thron:
Phil Thron has been narrating audiobooks for over 6 years, with 100+ titles and numerous award nominations, winning in the Humor category in the 2020 Independent Audio Book Awards.

A classically trained actor, Phil has worked in the theatre, on camera, and doing voiceover for decades. He was one half of a comedy duo during the 90s, and knows his way around comic characters and interplay, with authors and listeners alike commenting on his “impeccable comedic timing”.

He has written and directed several short films and taught an acting class in Manhattan (at Carnegie Hall, so he can provide the answer to “How do you get to…”).

He also loves to juggle, which translates so well to audiobooks.

A native New Yorker, Phil made the long and treacherous trek to New Jersey where he’s lived for the past 20 years. In his spare time, he devours books and movies, plays every type of game imaginable, plays guitar as badly as is humanly possible, and tennis just a bit better.

His proudest creative collaboration is his two children, where he was just happy to play a supporting role to his wife’s lead.



FTC Disclosure:
The various copy(ies)/format(s) of this book were bought with private funds.
No money received for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment